Monday, October 18, 2010

The Updates are Neverending

To all of those (and I mean you, Rachel) who requested an update, this one if for you.

Summer is a fading memory, getting lost in the warm and fluffy bulk of scarves. Although part of me is sad around this slightly depressing time of year, another part is reveling in the crisp breezes and taut, rosy faces of friends (and myself!). On a whole, summer seemed to offer loads of productive days, whether it be learning German or hiking. Some were taken advantage of, while others were left to fade into the next. My German class went very well, and I feel that, upon finishing, there was a discernible improvement in my language skills. I had made the decision to opt out of the C1 exam this go around, because it seemed too quick, and if it's one thing I am, it is a perfectionist with too high standards. Going to grad school in a foreign language will be hard enough, but with a poor command of that language would be near impossible. I, for one, am not motivated enough to look up every single word during a lecture, so why not try to learn it before the lectures even start, right?

On another note, I am eligible to start my MA (Master's of Arts) in Latin American Studies at the Universität Bern in February. There are none of the stipulations I expected, which makes my life a hell of a lot easier. The program is rather interesting, but also intimidating. Most classes will be in German, with about 20-25% in Spanish. Improving both of these languages is on my things to do over the next few months, but this will prove to no easy task, as anyone who has studied a language before would know. Therefore, I am off to one more round of intensive German courses, while reading Spanish novels at home, trying to work up the courage to crack open a Latin American history book on the side. Here's to hoping this motivation sticks around for more than the duration of this blog post. :)

In the months of non-posting some events have transpired that are worthy of mentioning. My sister came to visit for a week and a half! It was an amazing trip and it was wonderful getting to hang out and talk, which is one of my favorite things to do. We went to Greece and then, most notably, Oktoberfest. Shenanigans ensued. :) This last weekend I spent in Paris with Rachel, drinking mulled wine and discussing language and culture. If it weren't for me losing my voice it would have been a perfect McDonald's eating, wine drinking, nerdy conversation filled weekend.

Now off to down some more pills to try to kill this sickness that settled in my body over two weeks ago. Go antibiotics, go!

No comments:

Post a Comment