Wednesday, July 14, 2010

German School Strikes Again

Instead of doing my homework, which i desperately need to, I am laying on the couch too discouraged and hot to do anything productive. School is a killer and it's once again taking over my life, but in a good way, I think. The most disappointing thing is that Lori nor Trevor is in my class, so I feel way out of my comfort zone. We received our classes and I am in C1, which, if you have read any of my other posts, means that this is the highest level my school offers. Never did it cross my mind that I would be able to test into this class. Now I am faced with near-native speakers on a daily basis. Three people in my class have gone to high school in Switzerland and have an extremely high level of German, two speak dialect fluently (normal for younger foreigners), one of which one born here. Every time I open my mouth I feel like a failure, but I wasn't moved to a lower class, so the teacher must believe that I belong there. Hence the laying on the couch dilemma: why do homework when I can never be as good as them, so throw reason and trying out the window. Oh pessimism, when you rain you pour.

Work has been going well, but now that school has started again my hours are essentially cut in half. I am completely content with working three nights a week, just enough so I can make a fair amount by the end of the month in order to make a dent in our last credit card. That is the thing about debt, it's there because we chose other things over paying for something and when it is easy to shove to the side for a little while, why not, right? I am a terrible example of this because I bought a new computer with my first months pay, rather than paying on said card. But we really needed a new one because we both own pieces.


Anyhow, in a nutshell the weather is too hot, the class too hard, and I am too tired. It was almost 95 degrees in flippin' Switzerland today. I would expect that in Missouri, but not Bern. Hopefully my next post will be something more interesting and a little more detailed than the terrible attempt I've just made.

No comments:

Post a Comment